MV win in convincing style against Hawcoat Park 38-8


Trafford MV travelled to Hawcoat Park with a young squad for a repeat of the fixture that they had won last season. There was a return for Rory Canham at number 9 and Danny Burke switched from back row to fill in at centre to cover for the injured Dominic West.

As the game kicked off, Trafford were immediately made to work hard defensively by the home side who used their strong runners to make early yards. As the visitors held strong, the hosts’ only reward was a penalty kick which was almost immediately chalked off by two efforts from Pat Eccles, 6-3 after the first half hour.

As Trafford dominated field position, a rare break out saw the home side up to their opponent’s try line. Any momentum that been gained was thrown away in a moment of madness from the Park second row, throwing several punches as Trafford had turned over. The incident resulted in a red card and Hawcoat Park would have to see out the contest with 14 men.

Park did not implode and continued to apply good pressure to the Trafford try line and the away side were eventually forced into infringements of their own, the referee eventually decided that enough was enough and levelled the sides up for 10 minutes the teams went into half time after a frustrating 40 which neither side would have enjoyed.

The second half saw a much improved performance from Trafford early yards were made by Cornick to give Trafford good field position at this point Trafford looked to move the ball wide. As the defence rushed up, there was a delicate grubber kick from Danny Burke who found Jamie Kingdon in acres of space on the left wing.

The finish was a formality and Trafford now led 13-3. Hawcoat Park looked to respond and after their forwards had taken them up to the 22, they released the backs however, a strong tackle from centre Matt Coxon saw the Park full back spill the ball into the path of Kingdon who gathered and released James Matthie, the winger had the simplest of finishes to put Trafford 18-3 to the good.

With time running out, Trafford, sensed the chance of a rare winning bonus point in Cumbria and they looked to turn the screw, a fantastic burst from Andrew Clegg up to the 22, then released Luke Cox who had started the move.

Cox broke through several tackles and found Canham in space who touched down, 25-8. As the game ticked into over time, there was time for one more as Coxon again got a strong tackle in on his opposing centre, dislodging the ball into the path of James Matthie who collected his second. The final score was a convincing 33-8.

This was a performance that had felt frustrating at times but there were flourishes of the usual game plan there was a strong performance from Henry Brownlow at full back and Cornick and Cox ran fantastic lines in attack. Trafford now welcome Wigton at home in one weeks’ time.


Categories: Uncategorized

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s