6-Week Old Baby Boy Taken To Hospital Following A Fire In Stockport.

Posted by

FIREFIGHTERS have issued a candle safety warning after a six-week old baby boy was taken to hospital following a fire involving a Christmas decoration in Cheadle Hulme.

30027153601_c3cb7675f6_z

A crew from Cheadle were called to a house on Alderdale Road at 7.25pm today, December 9, after the family lit a candle, which was part of a decoration made from flower display foam, which can be bought anywhere including Trafford.

Watch Manager Paul Cartridge said: “A young girl brought the decoration home from school and she asked her mum to light the candle inside.

“The decoration was made of the green display foam commonly used for flower arranging, but unfortunately it’s highly flammable and gives off toxic smoke when it burns.

“The fire was discovered very quickly and the 32-year-old mother, her 5-year-old daughter and six-week-old baby boy managed to escape before we arrived.

“We don’t know if any more children have taken these decorations home, so we’re asking parents in the Cheadle Hulme area to watch out for them.

“If your child has brought one home do not light the candle inside – you should only burn candles in heat-resistant holders.”

The baby boy and five-year-old girl were treated at the scene by paramedics for smoke inhalation and the boy was taken to Stepping Hill Hospital as a precaution.

For information about how to stay safe this winter or to book a free Safe and Well Visit please call 0800 555 815 or visit www.manchesterfire.gov.uk.

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s