MV Show Silloth A Masterclass Winning 74-12 At McPherson Park

FT: Trafford MV 74-12 North Cumbrians Silloth

Match Report by Wilf Dooley


Trafford welcomed North Cumbrians Silloth to MacPherson Park for MV’s final home game of the 2016/17 season which has seen a good late run dissipate any chance of relegation. Perfect conditions and a sizeable crowd gave an ideal platform for open running rugby.

MV Number 8 Danny Burke on the charge

MV’s good form of late which has brought 4 wins on the trot, 3 of them away from home, was soon to be in evidence against a Silloth side that has been rooted in the relegation places all season.

The game was only minutes old when the solid forward platform won good ball which was moved through hands to Jamie Kingdon on the left wing who used his size to barge through flailing defenders to open the scoring. Pat Eccles missed the kick – his kicking boots left in the locker today ! Very soon after as the defence was drawn wide by a forward surge MV switched the point of attack and swift hands saw Andrew Moore cross over. Eccles again put the kick wide. Trafford were in good control of the game winning plentiful possession in both scrum and lineout however it was in open play that MV thrived. The back row of Quigley, Burke and young Ethan Cornick were far superior taking breakdowns and winning turnover ball frequently.

Traffords youth policy has really paid off this season and in this match six of the Colts XV were given game time to boost their experience and confidence. Leading the way was Greg Warren who was standing in for injured player coach Stuart Crampton. Warren steered the game like an experienced playmaker kicking well for position when required but running elusively and tackling strongly when needed. Rory Canham also played well at inside centre and later at scrum half.

Tries came at regular intervals for MV with centre Matt Coxon, winger Kingdon, No 8 Burke and center Moore crossing again before the half time whistle with Pat Eccles only managing a single conversion from 6 attempts to be replaced for the second half with the score at 32-5. Silloth picked up a consolation try just before the break as the MV defence lapsed into complacency much to the chagrin of Andrew Moore who earned a ticking off from the referee much to the crowds amusement !

The second half went much as the first with the visitors sticking to their task with credit but unfortunately for them MV were far in the ascendency. The forwards again brought consistent good ball with the aged John Kevan and Andy Clegg working hard in the boiler room of the second row and the front row standing solid. Second half tries came from Coxon, his second of the day, Kingdon, to round off his hat trick, flying winger James Matthie, captain Andy Quigley and one a piece for colts Roary Canham and Henry Brownlow. Greg Warren had taken over the kicking duties and was bang on with all his conversion attempts to slot 6 from 6.

Again Silloth tried hard and their spirit was rewarded with a second try as their debutant winger scored his first try for the club which was converted to make it a final score of 74 – 12 to MV.

This weekend takes on a different hue as MV travel to take on League leaders Carlisle although MV will go into the game as the current form side with 5 wins on the bounce. Carlisle suffered defeat recently to De La Salle 8-10 showing that they can be beaten at home. Could MV throw an upset as we enter the final games of the season?


Categories: Sport, Trafford MV

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s