MV suffers a heavy loss against a very good Liverpool St Helens team

On a nice afternoon for playing open running rugby and with a good crowd supporting both teams, and it was MV who defended a so far unbeaten run.

MV scrum under presure

Liverpool St Helens arrived as a mid table side with a 50/50 record and on paper MV were clear favourites to win this game,. However MV once again showed some fragility early on when for the third successive game, a try was conceded in the opening couple of minutes as missed tackles once again allowed the winger an easy early try.

A poor conversion attempt was missed 0-5 to Liverpool St Helens. MV though responded with a penalty for a collapsed scrum 3-5. MV then picked up a second penalty from Eccles for offside to nudge ahead 6-5.

Liverpool St Helens were quick to show they were not out for a joy ride when a loose kick from MV was spun left and quickly run back with missed tackles allowed a score wide left 6-10.

Within minutes Liverpool had struck again when good turnover ball was again run back and the MV defence was split open, the conversion was added for a 6-17 lead. It was obvious at this early stage that MV were struggling for possession and it was the Liverpool forwards providing a good platform for their half back pair to run the game.

The scrum half in particular putting in a dogged performance. MV came back however when a quick tap penalty led to centre Paul Davenport touching down for Eccles to convert 13-17.

The visitors pack strength showed it’s might for Liverpool to secure their 4 try bonus point with a pushover try, converted for a 13-24. With the half time break approaching MV finally managed to move the ball along the back and good work from Mike Boyle and Jamie Kingdon lead to Pat Eccles scoring the try but missing the conversion to remain in touch at 18-24.

The sides changed ends and it was the visitors that showed their intent from the restart. Prompted by their half backs play was pushed wide and injuries were hindering MV’s defence forcing a score out wide again with the successful conversion 18-31.

Trafford MV were still recovering from this when they were hit again by a dominant side with a converted try making it 18-38. MV were on the ropes now and conceded a second pushover try to slip further behind at 18-43.

MV had to re-organise due to injuries and substitutions and were really struggling as the Liverpool pack took the honours yet again forcing a score to reach the half century of points at 18-50.

MV winger James Matthie added some credibility with a quick tap and try converted by Dominic West. Then Andrew Moore hit a good line to run in from 40 metres for MV to claim a bonus point from this poor showing as the game closed at 34-50.

The Liverpool performance was blemished as their playmaker scrum half saw red late in the game and a further yellow saw the play with 13 men late in the game. The red card could prove costly for the Liverpool side.

MV have some stern lessons to learn from this performance and top of the list of improvements must be in the defence, followed closely by set piece scrummage.

This coming Saturday MV play away at Littleborough in the first round of the ADM League Cup. MV are looking to find new local rugby talent to add to their playing squads for all 3 senior teams, training is on Tues/Thurs evenings at 6.45pm at M33 6LR


Categories: Uncategorized