Trafford MV stop the rot winning away from home at the weekend

Trafford MV win away in a thriller at Tyldesley at the weekend.

Andy Quigley

Andy Quigley

MV really needed to turn things around after losing the last 4 games, whilst Tyldesley were still looking for their first win of the season. Both MV and Tyldesley had not played each other for some time so it made for an open and entertaining game.

At the start of the game the home team were in charge of the possession  with good forward pressure and determined running, good support play led to the opening try for Tyldesley in the right hand corner.

MV came back into it as skipper Andy Quigley broke up the middle the ball was lost in the tackle and the loose clearance kick fell to Jamie Kingdon who brushed tackles aside to cruise away and level the score, Pat Eccles converted  the score 5-7.

MV took the game on and good support play drove the ball close to the try line and it was Andrew Clegg that picked up a loose ball on the floor to step across and take the score under the posts, Eccles again converted 5-14.

MV now needed to capitalise however they suffered a blow as Andy Quigley picked up a dead leg and had to leave the field. Tyldesley took advantage and broke down the blind side to come back at 10-14.

Both sides were showing poor tackling and poor ball retention and it was James Matthie that took advantage from a box kick running the ball back and making good ground before linking with Jamie Kingdon who broke through for his second, no conversion left it at 10-19.

MV allowed Tyldesley to score again and come back to 15 – 19, from the restart it was MV once again crossing the line with in form player Chris Ward scoring again from the restart and to secure a bonus point for 4 tries at 15-26 with Eccles converting.


Once the game got back underway after half time Tyldesley came out fighting hard and  crossed the line to secure their own 4 try bonus point at 22-26, once again no conversion was added.

The end to end nature of the game was to continue keeping the supporters entertained and it was MV striking next as scrum half Pat Eccles made a superb break stepping past a defender to eventually slip an offload to oncoming No 8 Jon Feldman who just needed to stroll though and dot down for Eccles again to convert 22-33.

MV could not kill this game off and from the restart a spilled ball saw Tyldesley break from the scrum and force to play on deep into the MV defence and yet again with a unconverted try 27-33.

MV were fighting hard to hold on and as time ticked away and the referee glancing at his watch it was the home side that drew the final blood to come within a point at 32-33 with the conversion to come. The kicking stats told the story as once again the Tyldesley kicker was unable to find the target and the ball drifted wide much to MV’s relief as the whistle blew.

MV were back to winning ways again, and if Tyldesley continue to compete with the same passion they will soon secure a deserved win. Both teams need to regroup and turn out again this week as the fixture is reversed for an ADM League Cup game at MV’s MacPherson Park.

MV will have a large crowd supporting as the game will be played alongside their Oddballs Beer Bash and with a Vets game preceeding it. Kick Off is at 1.00pm and the Club is looking to draw a good local support with Internation Rugby matches being shown on big screens also. Come down and cheer on your favourite rugby team.


Categories: Uncategorized