Firefighters urge people to take extra care when smoking in the home.
Greater Manchester residents are being urged to take extra care when smoking and make sure cigarettes are completely put out to stop the risk of fire.
The warning comes after Greater Manchester Fire and Rescue Service (GMFRS) were called to a fire at 12.30pm yesterday (Wednesday, August 21) in Ramsgill Close, Manchester.
Four fire engines from Altrincham, Sale, Manchester Central and Stockport attended the incident involving a first floor terraced house.
The smoke had spread to three adjoining properties.
Firefighters wearing six breathing apparatus used three hose reels, one covering jet and a thermal imaging camera to put out the fire. Crews were in attendance for three hours and 20 minutes.
Area Manager Damian O’Rourke, Head of Prevention said: “Smoking is still one of the biggest causes of fire in the home across Greater Manchester. Thanks to the quick thinking and hard work of our firefighters, the fire did not spread further.
“If you smoke, please make sure you put your smoking materials completely out. Putting a small amount of water on your ashes or cigarette butts is a quick and simple way to make sure you are not at risk of a fire.
“Obviously, it is much safer to not smoke, but if you do, follow our advice and make sure you have a working smoke alarm.”
If you smoke, firefighters advise you to:
- Stub your smoking material out properly – put it right out
- Don’t leave a lit cigarette, cigar or pipe lying around. They can easily fall over and start a fire
- Use a proper heavy wide-bottom ashtray, never a wastepaper basket
- Make sure your ashtray won’t tip over and is made of material that won’t burn
- Never smoke in bed. It is easy to fall asleep and set the bedding and yourself on fire
- Fit at least one smoke alarm on every floor of your home and make sure you test it often. A working smoke alarm can buy you valuable time to get out, stay out and call 999