The man who stabbed three people and injured two others this morning at Manchester Arndale has been detained under the mental health act.
Police are saying the 40-year-old man was arrested on suspicion of committing a terrorism offence and has since been assessed by specialist doctors and was compulsory detained under the mental health act.
The investigation will continue in order to fully understand the motives behind the attack this morning.
Police believe there is no wider threat to the communities of Greater Manchester as the attacker is believed to have acted alone.
Below is the full list of people that were attacked:
- 59-year-old man sustained stab wounds to his hand and palm
- 19-year-old woman sustained stab wounds to her arm and arm pit, which required surgery. She remains in hospital but her injuries are not believed to be life threatening
- A 49-year-old woman sustained a cut to her elbow
- 33-year-old woman sustained a cut to her stomach
- 43-year-old woman was physically involved in the incident but doesn’t appear to have any visible injuries
If you have any image or footage that was taken at the scene police would like you to send them in to them vua this link http://www.ukpoliceimageappeal.co.uk/
Anyone who may have information that could assist the investigation should call 0161 856 0394.