Uncategorized

Trafford and Salford firefighters save a woman and her child from a kitchen fire in Eccles

A woman and her child were led to safety by firefighters in the early hours of this morning (Wednesday 16 September) after a cooking fire at a flat in Eccles.

Greater Manchester Fire and Rescue Service (GMFRS) crews from Stretford, Eccles and Irlam attended the incident in Argosy Way, Eccles at 12.37am as the Service was called to deal with a large number of cooking related incidents across the county.

Thankfully, the fire was out on arrival but the flat was incredibly smoke-logged – firefighters wearing breathing apparatus searched the flat and led the mother and son to safety.

Crews were called to three further cooking related incidents in the last 24 hours with firefighters first dealing with a chip pan fire in Stockport at 6pm.

Firefighters wearing breathing apparatus tackled the fire and were detained for around an hour and 15 minutes.

Later that evening at 7.35pm, three fire engines from Altrincham and Wythenshawe attended a fire at a terraced house in Hungerford Walk in Baguley. Again, crews were met with an unattended pan of food on a hob. Firefighters wearing breathing apparatus dealt with the fire using a hose reel.

At 10.14pm, three appliances from Oldham, Hollins and Chadderton attended Poplar Avenue in the Hollins area of Oldham. Plastic trays had been left on top of a hob which was turned on and had caused a large amount of acrid black smoke in the property.

A man and woman were suffering with slight smoke inhalation and were given precautionary checks by NWAS.

GMFRS’ Head of Prevention, Area Manager Paul Duggan, said: “Due to the quick and professional work of our firefighters, these incidents didn’t result in any serious injuries for residents but it’s a timely reminder for members of the public to think extra carefully when in the kitchen.

“If you haven’t already please ensure you have a working smoke alarm fitted on every floor of your home – they give you crucial time to escape if a fire did occur and could be what saves your life.”

“Most house fires that GMFRS is alerted to begin in the kitchen. It’s important to follow our safety advice, which can be found on our website, to ensure you are minimising any risks to help keep you and your family safe.”

If a pan does catch fire in your home don’t panic or take risks, follow our safety advice:

  • Don’t move the pan
  • Never throw water or use a water fire extinguisher on a hot fat fire
  • If it’s safe to do so – turn off the heat, but never lean over the pan to reach the controls
  • Leave the kitchen, close the door behind you, tell everyone else in the home to get out and don’t go back inside for any reason
  • Call 999

Categories: Uncategorized