One person in hospital after an early morning fire at a property in Stretford

Greater Manchester Fire and Rescue Service (GMFRS) is urging people to take extra care to prevent more accidental fires during the current national lockdown.

One person received burns and was taken to hospital following a chip pan fire at a property in Partridge Street, Stretford, at around 5am on 9 January 2021 three other people were also treated by ambulance crews at the scene.

Head of Prevention, Paul Duggan, said: “We saw a significant increase in certain types of fire during the spring lockdown and we are concerned now that the same thing will happen again.

“We have already seen a number of fires where people have suffered burns, smoke inhalation and seen serious damage to their homes.

“Accidental fires can be devastating for the people affected and any one of them could have even more serious or tragic consequences.”

These types of fires can be easily prevented by taking extra care and by reminding ourselves of the simple things we can all do.Key tips include:Keep electrical leads, cloths and tea towels away from the cooker, keep appliances away from water and never leave cooking unattended

Don’t burn rubbish in your garden. Household waste and recycling centres are open if you can’t store rubbish safely.When using open fires be sure to have the chimney swept, use a fire guard and ensure that ashes are cold before you put them in a bin

When using portable heaters be sure not to have them too close to curtains, furniture or your clothes and never use them for drying washing Fit a smoke alarm on each level of your house and test the batteries regularly More tips and information are available at https://www.manchesterfire.gov.uk/staying-safe/what-we-do/fire-safety-at-home/.GMFRS will be sharing tips and advice on social media this week under the #StaySafeGM.