Due to the impact of Covid-19 on driver staffing levels, Metrolink services on the Eccles, Ashton and Manchester Airport lines will not be running after 5pm on New Year’s Eve.
Tram services will continue to run on the majority of lines until 1am on New Year’s Day, but Metrolink, along with many other public transport operators, has had to make some changes to maintain scheduled services for as many passengers as possible.
A replacement bus service will be in place for the Ashton line after 5pm, and Metrolink tickets can be used on commercial bus services until 7pm on the Eccles and Airport lines – when most bus services stop running. Further detailed travel advice is available on the TfGM website.
As such, on New Year’s Eve, the following services will now operate:
- Altrincham line services will operate from 6am until 1am
- Bury line services will operate from 6am until 1am
- East Didsbury line services will operate from 6am until 1am
- Rochdale line services will operate from 6am until 1am
- Trafford Park line services will operate from 6am until 1am
- Ashton line services will operate from 6am until 5pm, no tram services will operate after 5pm this line, but a bus replacement service will be running.
- Airport line services will operate from 6am until 5pm, no services will operate after 5pm
- Eccles line services will operate from 6am until 5pm, no services will operate after 5pm
Alex Cropper, Interim Head of Operations at Transport for Greater Manchester, said: “I would like to reassure passengers that we are doing all that we can to maintain as many scheduled Metrolink services as possible – while at the same time dealing with the impact of Covid-19 on tram drivers and staff.
“We do absolutely recognise the impact these changes may have on some people’s journeys and I would like to apologise for any inconvenience they may cause. We are working closely with the tram operator KeolisAmey Metrolink and keeping a close eye on the situation to ensure our customer information channels are updated so people are aware of their journey options.
“I would urge people to plan their journeys in advance before they head out for the evening, allow extra time to travel and check the TfGM website for the latest information.”
Passengers are also reminded that, unless exempt, the wearing of face coverings is a legal requirement when using public transport and in taxis and private hire vehicles.
For a full breakdown of tram services operating on New Year’s Eve, including tram, bus and rail services, please visit: tfgm.com/new-years-eve-services
Between 1 and 3 January there will also be planned improvement works taking place around Victoria Station tram stop – meaning no trams will run through Victoria.
That means the following Metrolink lines will be affected:
- Bury line services will terminate at Abraham Moss
- Rochdale Oldham services will terminate at Monsall
- East Didsbury services will terminate at Exchange Square
- Airport line services will terminate at Firswood
A replacement bus service will be operating on these to help people continue their journey. Signed pedestrian walking routes will also be in place and Customer Service Representatives will be at stops to direct passengers to the nearest replacement bus stop.
For live travel updates please follow @OfficialTfGM or visit tfgm.com.