United Utilities have tonight confirmed they have the situation under control after a very strong odour many times worse than normal.
Police earlier this evening Jan 30 told the public via social media channels to close windows and doors as it was not known what the pong was, although an emergency was not called.
United Utilities confirmed the problem that a trader had flushed away chemical waste, they first found chemical fumes coming from a sewer where it entered the sewage works.
They went on to say that the fire service are now saying “The public do not need to take any action”
We are still awaiting a reply from the fire service as to what the chemical was.