Trafford MV Win In Style After A Hard-Fought Victory Away At Fleetwood

Full Time: Fleetwood 30-41 Trafford MV

In very good conditions for the time of the year Trafford MV picked up a valuable away win on Saturday, with a hard-fought victory over Fleetwood.


The home sides form has dipped over recent weeks following a very good start to the season and MV were hoping to cash in and secure much-needed League points to alleviate relegation worries as they hover just above the 3 nominated relegation places.

MV started the game well and defended Fleetwood’s early attacks with relative ease – the home side using strong straight running trying to breach MV’s line. However, a cheap penalty gave Fleetwood much-needed field position and the first try if the match soon followed, the kick was missed.

MV responded immediately and came back strongly with Andrew Moore pouncing on some poor Fleetwood handling to run the ball 30m to score. Conversion by Pat Eccles was good 5-7 to Trafford. MV kept the pressure on and forced a penalty that was struck between the posts again from Eccles who was on form with the boot 5-10 to the visiting team.

MV have struggles recently from kick offs and were soon under pressure again after failing to gather the restart, Fleetwood fielded the loose ball and burst through MV’s pack then moved the point of attack into midfield and went in for a try of their own to make it 10-10, again the conversion was missed.

MV were now hit by a period in which it seemed they had lost confidence and missed tackles hampered the MV defence and Fleetwood capitalised to score a further 2 tries to take the score to 20-10 – again missed conversions were proving costly.

With half time approaching MV now had to score before the break to stay in touch. Turning down kickable penalties MV opted for a scrum following a penalty 5m from the Fleetwood line.The ball was won by MV and moved wide with winger Jamie Kingdon managing to squeeze over wide on the left to bring the scores to 20-15 at half time.

Trafford were well in the game however the second half was to prove a topsy-turvy affair with both sides seemingly unable to hold a lead and MV sensed a chance to get vital points on the road.

They home side scored a further 2 tries but MV never gave up and responded strongly themselves with tries from player coach Stuart Crampton, 2nd row Andrew Clegg and a late, first,1st XV try for youngster Ethan Cornick sealed the victory 30-41.

Despite being outscored by 6 tries to 5, it was successful kicks from scrum half Patrick Eccles that proved vital to the outcome of the game.

Trafford’s challenge now is to maintain, or improve, the 5 point gap between themselves and Upper Eden, who hold the 3rd relegation spot.

MV’s next league game again see’s them taking to the road as they travel to Hawcoat Park in Barrow-in-Furness – not an easy task against a decent side playing top six rugby.

MV will be hoping to have key player Danny Burke back from injury for this one ! On Saturday MV’s 2nd XV will be at home against Ormskirk – kick off 2.15pm

Reported by Wilf Dooley


Categories: Sport, Trafford MV

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s