In this article we explore some of the history of Warburton, the village is situated South of Partington and has fewer than 1000 residents.
Some issues around the Toll Bridge in recent weeks, this bridge was around a long time so long no one has any records as to when it was built, another bridge though was in place to go over the River Mersey that run underneath it, the river was diverted in to the Manchester Ship Canal.
The smaller bridge can still be seen although it has lots of vegetation all around it, and may be missed if not looking, the bridge has iron railings, and where there once water is now farm land.
Archaeological evidence indicates Warburton and surrounding areas has been used agriculturally since Roman times, Interestingly the name Warburton in the Domesday Book or Warburgtune.
Two manors were recorded in the Domesday Book, both manors were unified by the late 12th Century before the Norman Conquest, the area then was controlled by the Anglo-Saxons.
The earliest known records of a church in Warburton was in a deed in 1187.
Warburton became a separate parish sometime in the 13th century, the church is surrounded by a ditch and a bank, dating to at least the 14th century.
The area is also the site of a medieval priory near the church of St Werburgh which is a Grade 1 listed building which is timber-framed, the priory was formed in the 13th century but dissolved in 1270.
Lots of things have been found in Warburton that dates back to prehistoric times like flints and Bronze Aged axe heads, lots of Roman artefacts have been found including coins and jewellery.
The village of Warburton in 2001 was just 286, Warburton in 2017 will be around the 800 mark, even though it is in Trafford, the area has the Lymm postcode WA13, and the parliament constituency is Altrincham and Sale West.
Warburton School built-in 1871 was converted into a residence but still has crucks in the roof, crucks are curved wooden frames.
A monastery called St John of Jerusalem was developed nearer to Partington, but was knocked down with no visible signs of it being built, however a monk’s grave is currently under a mound near Warburton Park, which is partly why Partington has a wooded are a called Coroners Wood, although close to the burial site, nothing is underneath the woods in present day Partington.
Warburton and Partington in the next few years will to see some big changes due to HS2 and big developments.