Uncategorized

Greater Manchester Fire service offers advice as another vape battery explodes

E- cigarettes are now considered by the government as a better way to get off normal cigarettes.

Although not much is known about the effects of any long-term use a vape is simply breathing in vapour from a heated liquid, that liquid contains nicotine although in low doses.

Another issue is the battery to keep this thing going, it is Lithium-ion which is the same batteries we see in our phones and tablets although of course much weaker.

The batteries contain a unique flammable electrolyte (cell voltage) , if the battery is charged to fast it can explode and cause fires.

On Aug 22 a man from Wigan was in his front room when his battery exploded in his pants, burning his thigh and sending the device through the back window.

Greater Manchester Fire and Rescue came out fast to find no fire occurred as a result of this explosion, they though helped family members who were shocked by the incident.

The fire service offers people who uses vapes this important advice:

  • Always use the charger that came with your device
  • If you need to buy a replacement battery always choose a branded, genuine product from a supplier you can trust. There are lots of fakes out there, and it can be difficult to spot the difference
  • Avoid storing, using or charging batteries at very high or low temperatures
  • Make sure your batteries are stored safely and away from other metal items such as keys
  • Protect batteries against being damaged – that’s crushed, punctured or immersed in water
  • Don’t leave items continuously on charge after the charge cycle is complete – it’s best not to leave your phone plugged in overnight, for example
  • Never cover chargers or charging devices – that includes using your laptop power lead in bed
Advertisements

Categories: Uncategorized