Uncategorized

Firefighters rush to a house fire in Urmston & four others around Manchester during the bank holiday weekend

 

Greater Manchester Fire and Rescue Service attended a house fire in Urmston and four other electrical type fires around Manchester over bank holiday weekend.

30027153601_c3cb7675f6_z

 

During the morning of May 27th a resident on Cavendish Road called the fire service after the couch was set alight by a laptop charger.

The fire took hold of the property, firefighters had to use 4 breathing apparaus, two hose reels and one positive pressure ventilation fan to tackle the fire.

Firefighters were in attendance for just under 3 hours.

Over the bank holiday period firefighters were called out to a further 4 house fires and all due to electrical faults and issues with tumble dryers and washing machines.

Damian O’Rourke, Head of Prevention at GMFRS said: “Thankfully, nobody was seriously injured in these incidents but it is a timely reminder of how dangerous electrical appliances can be when left unattended.

“There are many different precautions people can take to minimise the risk of an electrical appliance fire and they need to be monitored regularly.

“Just because there is no flame, does not mean there is no risk of fire.”

To minimise the risk of a fire you should:

  • Switch off appliances at the socket when not in use and when you go out or go to bed, unless they are designed to be left on, like freezers.
  • Be aware of what you are charging, where it is and how long it has been on charge
  • Check you are not overloading plug sockets
  • Do not use chargers or electrical items in areas of the home where they can easily heat up, for example under pillows, under bedding or sofas and cushions.

Dealing with an electrical fire

If there is an electrical fire, pull the plug out, or switch off the power at the fuse box – if it is safe to do so. Sometimes this can stop the fire immediately.

Never use water on an electrical fire, and don’t take any risks with your safety – get out, stay out and call 999.

Find out more on what to check for to ensure your appliances don’t put you or your family or housemates at risk from fire by clicking here

https://www.manchesterfire.gov.uk/staying-safe/what-we-do/fire-safety-at-home/electrical-equipment/

Advertisements

Categories: Uncategorized