Trafford MV’s ‘never say die’ attitude was still not enough to win Fleetwood at the weekend

On the second weekend of the new ADM premiership season, the Trafford first XV travelled to Fleetwood in confident mood.

Screenshot 2019-09-23 at 7.43.07 PM

Rugby Ball: Credit Trafford MV

Trafford’s preparation was hampered by poor traffic conditions, leading to a delayed kick off.

The early stages of the game saw an open contest with both teams launching strong attacks. Trafford’s forwards asserted some early dominance upon the game which provided promise for the rest of the match. Danny Burke and Lewis Kingdon gained good territory with powerful carries through the centre of the home defence.

With their first possession of the game however, Fleetwood showed great fluency in their attack to spread the ball wide. A penalty was conceded for a high tackle and Fleetwood used the opportunity to launch an attack on the Trafford line.

Following the line out, poor Trafford defence around the fringes of the ruck allowed Fleetwood over for the first try. Trafford immediately responded with a prolonged period of territory, and registered their first points through the boot of Dom West 7-3.

As Trafford threatened the Fleetwood try line, a vital turnover allowed a swift Fleetwood counter attack with their outside centre taking advantage of the quick ball and offloading into space.

The move was well finished by supporting runners and the try meant that Fleetwood lead 17-3 with twenty minutes played. The home side continued their control over the game as a further attack drew in defenders, creating a large overlap on the outside.

The home side burst through the space to score to lead 24-3. At this stage, Trafford had a lot to do to get back into the game but heads did not drop and their forwards began to regain the ascendancy through powerful running lead by Andrew Quigley. A lengthy period of possession lead to a close range finish from captain Chris Ward, to reduce the deficit 24-10.

The second half was a much closer affair and early Trafford pressure meant that the home side began to lose some of their discipline. A yellow card to Fleetwood was the result.

Trafford quickly capitalised on this advantage as a sustained attack was finished by Lewis Kingdon. This Trafford come back was stemmed by a penalty, allowing 3 further points for the home side but Trafford still believed they could take something from the game.

More forward dominance allowed Kingdon another platform from which to power over the line for his second try. The game was again in the balance as Fleetwood lead by only six points, 30-24 with fifteen minutes to play.

Trafford looked to complete what had seemed an unlikely come back, continuing to dominate at the set piece and around the fringes of the ruck. A series of forward carries allowed good territory but a loose pass was excellently intercepted by the outstanding Fleetwood fly half.

He raced fifty metres, outstripping the Trafford cover tackles and scoring to take the result beyond doubt with the clock ticking down. This score was a heavy blow to Trafford and Fleetwood touched down once more to close out the game. The final score was 44-24, a comprehensive win for Fleetwood despite a close contest for long periods of the second half. Next week Trafford are at home to Aldwinians and look forward to the return of the half back partnership of Stuart Crampton and captain Pat Eccles.

Trafford MV have a club open day next Saturday and invite local neighbours and supporters to come and visit the club, watch the games and get into the spirit of Rugby Union while the Rugby World Cup is in progress. Trafford MV are looking for newly inspired players to get in touch to join all our age groups from 3 years of age to seniors and Vets Rugby

Categories: Uncategorized