Investigations following an incident at a property in Northern Moor have now concluded.
Police were called by the ambulance service shortly before 9am on Saturday 4 January 2020 to a report of concern for the welfare of a man at a property on Moor Lane, Northern Moor.
It was established that the man, aged in his 20s, had consumed castor beans which contain a toxin called ‘Ricin’
While the man remains in hospital for assessment, there is no longer any further concern for his physical health.
Superintendent Paul Walker of Greater Manchester Police said: “We appreciate the concern of those in the area yesterday, and that members of the public may have been alarmed to see emergency services personnel in protective suites.
“However, this was as an appropriate cautionary measure to the incident – during which there was no wider threat to the community.
“I’d like to thank the public for their patience while investigations were brought to a conclusion, particularly those in the immediate vicinity.
“I’d also like to thank our emergency services partners whose care and professionalism brought this incident to a safe conclusion.
“We’re happy to hear that the man has made a good recovery in hospital and we wish him well.”