A family from Sale escaped a fire which started in their lounge after a candle was left unattended.
The occupants of the property, in Farmfield in Sale were alerted to the fire thanks to their working smoke alarm.
Greater Manchester Fire and Rescue Service (GMFRS) was called to the scene at around 2.09am this morning (March 2) and crews from Stretford, Sale and Altrincham attended.
On arrival, firefighters found a fire in the living room, which is believed to have started when one of the people living at the house went to bed, thinking she had blown the candles out, but one was still burning and the fire then spread to other items nearby.
The three occupants of the house, two adults and a child, were alerted to the fire by their smoke alarm and managed to exit the property before firefighters arrived.
Firefighters wearing breathing apparatus used one hose reel to extinguish the fire. Crews then used a large fan to remove smoke from the property and a gas detector to ensure it was safe for the residents to return. Crews were on the scene for around one hour.
Head of Prevention and Area Manager, Paul Fearnhead said:
“This incident shows just why working smoke alarms are so important. The family living in the house were quickly alerted to the fire and managed to get out without sustaining any injuries. Please make sure you have working smoke alarms in your property.
“I would urge people to always make sure candles are extinguished properly when they go to bed and to never leave them near items and materials that could easily catch fire.
“When you are putting out a candle, never blow it out – use a snuffer or a metal spoon – to prevent any sparks and hot wax flying. Remember to always place candles on heat resistant surfaces and away from any flammable materials.
“A fire can start so easily in the home, it’s really important to ensure that the right steps are being taken to avoid any serious damage and keep you and your family safe.”