Wearing masks to protect against SARS-cov-2 (Covid-19) has been debated a lot recently and government has decided to make it mandatory for the public to wear a mask on public transport.
We needed evidence from a medic that this stupid government are actually making things worse by asking people to wear masks.
This is what we have found in an article to the BMJ, the two potential side effects that have already been acknowledged are:
(1) Wearing a face mask may give a false sense of security and make people adopt a reduction in compliance with other infection control measures, including social distancing and hands washing.
(2) Inappropriate use of face mask: people must not touch their masks, must change their single-use masks frequently or wash them regularly, dispose them correctly and adopt other management measures, otherwise their risks and those of others may increase.
Other potential side effects that we must consider are:
(3) The quality and the volume of speech between two people wearing masks is considerably compromised and they may unconsciously come closer. While one may be trained to counteract side effect n.1, this side effect may be more difficult to tackle.
(4) Wearing a face mask makes the exhaled air go into the eyes. This generates an uncomfortable feeling and an impulse to touch your eyes. If your hands are contaminated, you are infecting yourself.
(5) Face masks make breathing more difficult. For people with COPD, face masks are in fact intolerable to wear as they worsen their breathlessness. Moreover, a fraction of carbon dioxide previously exhaled is inhaled at each respiratory cycle.
Those two phenomena increase breathing frequency and deepness, and hence they increase the amount of inhaled and exhaled air. This may worsen the burden of covid-19 if infected people wearing masks spread more contaminated air.
This may also worsen the clinical condition of infected people if the enhanced breathing pushes the viral load down into their lungs.
The effects described at point 5 are amplified if face masks are heavily contaminated (see point 2)
(6) While impeding person-to-person transmission is key to limiting the outbreak, so far little importance has been given to the events taking place after a transmission has happened, when innate immunity plays a crucial role.
The main purpose of the innate immune response is to immediately prevent the spread and movement of foreign pathogens throughout the body.
The innate immunity’s efficacy is highly dependent on the viral load. If face masks determine a humid habitat where the SARS-CoV-2 can remain active due to the water vapour continuously provided by breathing and captured by the mask fabric, they determine an increase in viral load and therefore they can cause a defeat of the innate immunity and an increase in infections.
You can read the entire article https://www.bmj.com/content/369/bmj.m1435/rr-40
In addition and has been ignored by government is the World Health Organisation has come out and said that it is very rare for anyone to pass on the virus to others makes the social distancing a complete joke now! the reason for all this lockdown was really about people not knowing if they had the virus or not (asymptomatic) and the fear it created again needlessly.