Article by Wilf Dooley

The season is getting tougher for Trafford MV as their challenge for the leadership of the ADM Championship begins to slip. Defeat at Heaton Moor on Saturday see’s MV slip further behind Sefton and Aspull and puts them in easy reach of Heaton Moor and Tyldesley who are snapping at their heels.

MV have selection problems at the moment and lots of hard work needs to be put in on the training paddock to set a style of play which suits the team taking the park. The gelling of players is essential in order to bring the younger players through this development stage of their game.

Saturday saw bright sunny weather, a welcome relief after recent weeks, and a day for exciting rugby to be played. There was a good crown at Heaton Moor following their Vice Presidents luncheon prior to the game helping to add to the occasion.

Pat Eccles

Trafford MV opened the game well getting the better of early exchanges which led to an early try from exciting young prop James Webster which was converted by stand off Pat Eccles for a 7-0 lead.

This seemed to ruffle the home sides feathers and prompted an immediate reaction which brought them right back to a level score line with a converted try. With the crowd routing for Moor the home side responded and began to move the ball and look very dangerous, MV were struggling to keep their attacks in check. 

Heaton Moor now had the bit between their teeth and 2 tries in quick succession, both converted pushed the home side into a 21-7 lead and it was looking like MV might run adrift. It was fellow prop Connor Monaghan that gave Trafford MV some hope as he powered his way over the line, with Pat Eccles again converting to narrow the score to 21 – 14.

This was the score at Half Time and it was all to play for in the second period of play.

The second half was hard fought with neither side being able to breach hard working defences and for a good half hour it was stalemate with Heaton Moor maintaining their narrow lead.

Then with around ten minutes to go Trafford MV winger Leon Passley scores an opportunist interception try from the half way line to score under the posts giving Pat Eccles an easy conversion to level at 21-21. Building up to the grand finale.

With the final whistle approaching it was all pressure from Heaton Moor who finally elect to kick for goal off their 3rd successive penalty 24-21.

Then with added time being played a late try came out wide for the home side, the conversion was missed but the damage had been done for Heaton Moor to take the honours 29-21 as the final whistle blows.

This coming weekend see’s the new League leaders Sefton visit Trafford MV’s MacPherson Park in what will be a titanic game, this will be a statement game for MV following recent results.

There will be plenty of Six Nations Rugby as well inside the Trafford Clubhouse with Wales vs France on Friday evening and on Saturday Italy vs Scotland followed by the huge England vs Ireland game at 4.45pm. Entry to Trafford MV is free and non members are welcome to join us and enjoy Rugby.

New Rugby Players should contact