Uncategorized

Teenage boy arrested in connection with a violent robbery at South Manchester tram stop

East Didsbury Metrolink Station

Pic: Google


Detectives have arrested a teenage boy after a 17-year-old boy was stabbed during an attempted robbery at East Didsbury Metrolink stop on Friday night.

The 15-year-old was detained yesterday (Monday 30 August) and is being held on suspicion of robbery after the incident at around 7.30pm on Friday 27 August, which left the victim hospitalised with a stab wound.

Investigators from GMP’s City of Manchester South division are currently questioning the teenage suspect in custody as part of their enquiries that include extensive CCTV footage and forensic leads.

Advertisements

Their investigation so far suggests that Friday’s incident was one of at least two robberies the same evening with another reported at Trafford Bar being treated as linked. Thankfully no other injuries were reported.

Three other individuals are believed to have been involved in the incidents and police are appealing for witnesses or anyone with information to come forward.

Local officers and our Transport Unit are working closely with partners at TfGM in continuing to regularly review CCTV across the network in identifying suspects and deterring further similar incidents from occurring.

Dedicated officers from GMP’s specialist operation tackling incidents of personal robberies in the city region – codenamed Valiant – are also working in correspondence with the investigation team to aid the progress of their enquiries.

Detective Inspector Chris Maddocks, of West Didsbury CID, said: “This serious incident on Friday night is one we are robustly investigating and we have a suspect in custody who we are questioning about this attack.

“It is thanks to the work of fellow passengers who rendered first aid that the victim’s injuries were not fatal and he is able to continue his recovery at an encouraging pace in hospital while being supported by our specialist officers.

“What we do believe is that this isn’t the only incident of this nature on the service in the south Manchester and Trafford areas over the weekend – this includes one incident that wasn’t reported to police but subsequent CCTV enquiries have detected it as part of a linked series.

Advertisements

“It is important that incidents – particularly of this level of seriousness – are reported to us whether it be online, via 101 or at your nearest police station, and that anyone with information to aid our enquiries contacts us.”

TfGM’s Head of Metrolink, Danny Vaughan, said: “This was a distressing incident for the victim, witnesses and staff and I wish the boy a swift recovery from his injuries.

“While such serious incidents are extremely rare, when they do happen we and the operator will do whatever we can to help police trace those responsible. 

“We have extensive CCTV coverage across the network, with cameras on all our trams and stops and we will not hesitate to hand it over to the police, as we have done on this occasion.”

Information can be passed to police by calling 0161 856 4973 quoting incident 2677 of 27/08/2021.

Details can also be submitted anonymously via the independent charity Crimestoppers on 0800 555 111.

Categories: Uncategorized